Fort Mylner Shopping Center holds a significant place in Virgin Islands history in that it was the first shopping center on St. Thomas, having opened in 1966. It was developed by pioneer Arthur Witty, was later sold to Miller Properties, and in 1996, shortly after Hurricane Marilyn, it was purchased by Lockhart Realty.
The property is comprised of the FORT MYLNER SHOPPING CENTER (approximately 22,000 square feet), the two outparcels which house KFC and PIZZA HUT (4,500 square feet), and on an adjoining parcel (curiously separated by a VI Government property), the FORT MYLNER COMMERCIAL CENTER (10,800 square feet), which was developed in 1994, and which is now home to Lockhart Realty and its parent company, Lockhart Companies Incorporated.
Lockhart Realty, Inc., the largest owner of shopping centers in the U.S. Virgin Islands, owns and manages six shopping centers on St. Thomas (Drake’s Passage, Fort Mylner Shopping Center and Commercial Center, Grand Galleria, Lockhart Gardens Shopping Center, Market Square East, and Red Hook Plaza) and one shopping center (Orange Grove Shopping Center) on St. Croix.
Approximately 320 acres of undeveloped real estate zoned for commercial and residential development is owned by Lockhart Realty, Inc., and is located either adjacent to the primary business and tourist district on St. Thomas or on the main highway connecting downtown and the eastern end of St. Thomas.
The parent company, Lockhart Companies Incorporated, together with its subsidiaries, also owns and operates several insurance companies and a financial services company. The outstanding share of stock of Guardian Insurance Company, Inc. and Heritage Insurance Limited were purchased in 1998.
Founded in 1884 by Alfred H. Lockhart, a progenitor of the current controlling shareholders, the Company was incorporated in 1936. www.lockhart.com.